Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Pearl Harbor anniversary

The anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor was December 7, and the Honolulu Advertiser had this piece about the annual remembrance and the dwindling number of veterans who were there. Most surviving veterans are in their eighties and nineties, and the last official reunion was held in 2006.

Here are comments from one of the veterans at the remembrance:

"I feel very proud that I've survived," said [George] Smith, of Washington. "I'm very honored by all these people. I'm no hero. I was simply doing my duty."

In a related anniversary, on December 18, 1944, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Korematsu v. U.S., which upheld the racially discriminatory Japanese interment camps during World War II. Here is a link to the ABA Journal's short piece on Korematsu.
(Photo by Andrew Shimabuku / The Honolulu Advertiser.)

No comments: