Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Taking the battle against cancer to a new front

Wired magazine recently offered this interesting piece on how the efforts spent on the usual approach to cancer treatment and research--cure--may be better spent on an often secondary approach--early detection.

The article explores the elusiveness of successful prevention and early detection, in the face of this stark statistic: "If we find cancer early, 90 percent survive, if we find cancer late, 10 percent survive."
As detection and treatments advance, many cancer patients and their families share stories of strength and commitment. For example, see the L. A. Times column by Al Martinez, who shares the story of his adult daughter Cindy:

I'm putting her name in print today so that you can tell me stories of your own fight against cancer; so you can help our family find the strength and courage to defeat the enemy within. We're all family in a way, you and I and Cinelli and Cindy and the rest. We share a mutual village. Cindy was handed to me a long time ago and occupies a special place in my life and in my heart, and I'm not about to hand her back.
(Photo by Mataparda; used by permission.)

No comments: