Monday, November 10, 2008

"Mama Africa" lived an inspiring life

The great South African singer, Miriam Makeba, died this week. Her story and singing are nearly legendary. Check out her obituary from the New York Times. National Public Radio also has her story with audio links from Morning Edition.


Here is part of the Times story:


Music was a central part of the struggle against apartheid. The South African authorities of the era exercised strict censorship of many forms of expression, while many foreign entertainers discouraged performances in South Africa in an attempt to isolate the white authorities and show their opposition to apartheid.

From exile she acted as a constant reminder of the events in her homeland as the white authorities struggled to contain or pre-empt unrest among the black majority.

Ms. Makeba wrote in 1987: “I kept my culture. I kept the music of my roots. Through my music I became this voice and image of Africa, and the people, without even realizing.”
(Photo by Georgios Kefalas/AP)

No comments: